The provided links outline both the CCPS Superintendent’s Rule regarding school transfer/school change requests and required forms to be completed:
Superintendent’s Rule 5126 School Transfer Rule (January 14, 2014)
The Board of Education shall establish geographic attendance zones. The Superintendent or designee shall assign each student to the student’s zoned school based on where the student is domiciled with a parent or guardian, unless the Superintendent or designee determines that the student shall be assigned to a different school in the best interests of the school system or the student. “Domicile” is defined as the individual’s sole, permanent home, without present intention of change and notwithstanding the existence of homes or residences elsewhere.
Custodial parents/guardians (parents/guardians) may request a transfer for their child to a school other than the one to which he or she is assigned in accordance with these Rules.
Parents/guardians shall promptly notify their child’s school with any changes to their domicile.
Failure to provide prompt notification may result in an immediate school reassignment based on the correct student domicile and the denial of a future transfer request under these Rules.
Consideration of a request of parent(s)/guardian(s) for the transfer of a student from one county school zone to another will be given ifone of the following conditions is met:
- A student who changes bona fide domicile after the start of the second semester may request to complete the school year at the school in which the student is currently enrolled. If the student moves out of county, the student shall be charged tuition. The parent/guardian must complete the appropriate school change request form for consideration to remain at the current school. The student must enroll the next school year in the school in his or her new attendance zone.
- A senior in high school who changes bona fide domicile to a location in or out of the county at any time during the school year may complete the school year at the school in which the student is currently enrolled. If the student moves out of county, the student shall be charged tuition. The parent/guardian must complete the appropriate school change request form for the request to be considered.
- A student whose parent/guardian has entered into a contract to purchase a home within the first quarter of the school year may request a transfer to the school zoned for the prospective home. The parent/guardian shall notify the new school upon moving into the new home. The verification of domicile and occupancy in the new home must be provided by the end of the first quarter in order to avoid tuition charges and/or removal from the new school. The parent/guardian shall be required to complete the Prospective Homeowner Application form prior to enrollment.
- A student who is domiciled in the county and whose parent/guardian is a full-time CCPS employee eligible for benefits may request a transfer to the elementary, middle, or high school zoned for that parent/guardian’s current primary work location. The parent/guardian must complete a school change request form for the transfer. An employee who changes primary work location during the school year may request that the student complete the school year at the school in which the student is currently enrolled.
2018 Tuition Rates for Out of County Residents:
|Students from Outside of Maryland||Students from Other Maryland Counties|
|Regular Education Students *||$11, 930||$7,740|
|Special Education Students **|
|Related Services (e.g. OT/PT/Speech/APE)||$68 per hour||$68 per hour|
|Special Education Academic Services||$20,660||$16,420|
|One-to-One Instructional Assistant **||$30,000||$23,000|
|Private Duty Nurse **||$45 per hour||$45 per hour|
|Non-Public Placement **||$34,711||$30,449|
|Non-Public Transportation **||$15,000||$10,758|
|Home/Hospital Instruction/Tutoring **||$23.50 per hour||$23.50 per hour|
* Foundation per pupil amount for FY 2018 is $4196; based on State allocated funds for CCPS; 3% decrease from prior year.
** If a student requires special support services under IDEA or Section 504, the direct cost of these services will be assessed in addition to the base rate. Rates for students with unique needs will be determined on a case-by-case basis. For example, students who require an individual instructional assistant, non-public placement, special transportation, ESY, HHI/tutoring, or registered nurse, can be assessed the full cost of these services in addition to the tuition rate.