Welcome to Charles County Public Schools!
Please take the following Pre-Enrollment Survey to ensure that you are registering your child at the correct location.
- Are you entering and/or transferring from a school or location outside the United States?
- Is the student’s native or home language a language other than English?
- Is the preferred language for parent/guardian communication a language other than English?
- Has the student previously received ESOL services or been enrolled in an ESOL program?
- I am not the parent or legal guardian of the student.
- Is the student currently suspended or expelled from a school?
- Are you unable to produce two proofs of domicile in your name?
- Are you currently building or purchasing a home and moving in Charles County prior to the end of the first quarter?
- Are you living in a domicile outside of Charles County and requesting to enter into a tuition contract?
- Is the student entering CCPS from instruction in the home (home schooling)?
If you answered Yes to any of the questions 1 through 9, please begin the enrollment process at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building at 5980 Radio Station Road, La Plata, MD. The phone number is 301-934-7326.
If you answered No to all 10 questions, then click here to use School Locator to find which schools are zoned to a particular address in the county. The application uses mapping data from the county and filters it by the system’s current school zones to come up with the elementary, middle and high school zoned for the entered address. Click here to access the login only version of School Locator when inside the CCPS network.
All children entering Charles County Public Schools must have the following:
- A physical examination by a physician or a certified practitioner(Physicals must be completed between nine months prior to and six months after entering school.)
- Proof of required immunizations against communicable diseases.
- Proof that the student has completed the grade prior to the one in which the parent is seeking enrollment, such as a report card marked promoted.
- Child’s birth certificate or other acceptable proof of birth (e.g. passport/visa; physician’s certificate; baptismal or church certification; hospital certificate; or birth registration).
(If the child was born in Maryland, a copy of his/her birth certificate can be purchased from the Charles County Health Department. Call 301-609-6900.)
- Two proofs of Domicile (See Board Rule 5122.1 below)
*Note-Parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for promptly notifying the school system of any change in address. Failure to do so may result in the student being immediately transferred to the school zoned for the student’s correct address.
- Students who are transferring from another school in Maryland should also have a copy of the Student Record Card 7 that is completed by the sending school. The Student Record Card 7 is also called the Maryland Student Withdrawal/Transfer Record.
Proof of Domicile (Board Rule 5122.1)
When registering their children in Charles County Public Schools, parents or guardians are required to show two proofs of domicile. All children must attend school in the county where the children’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s) reside. One proof must be submitted from each of the below listed categories:
- Current verifiable lease or rental agreement (with appropriate signatures and contact information)
- Current mortgage statement/bill (within 45 days)
- Settlement papers (within 45 days and with appropriate signatures)
- Foster care placement letter/McKinney-Vento documentation
- Assignment of Ownership Agreement (for properties in cooperative homeowner’s associations (e.g., Potomac Heights))
- Most recent property tax bill for domicile or Maryland Department of Assessment and Taxation Form
- Most recent utility bill (within 45 days) that includes name and service address (examples are electric, water/sewer, trash, oil, gas, cable, security system, and solar bills)
- Current verification of service statement for above utilities
- Current wage statement (within 45 days) with name and address of employee and employer
- Most recent W2, 1098, or 1099 statement
- One of the following government issued statements with name and address (within 45 days):
- Documentation of benefits from Social Security Administration
- Documentation of benefits from the Department of Social Services
- Official correspondence on letterhead mailed from local, state, or federal court
The items listed below are not acceptable proofs of domicile:
- Driver’s License
- Car registration
- Voter registration
- Cellular or telephone bill
- General mail, advertisements
- Termination of service statements
- Deeds, titles, or tax statements to property with no dwelling on it
- Letters or notes from persons, notarized or not, that claim an address (PPW verification is exception)
- Bank statements/credit card statements
- Tax return
- Medical insurance documentation
- Mortgage/rental/car insurance
Charles County Public Schools reserves the right to investigate domicile at any time without notification or consent whenever the authenticity of proofs are in question. Falsification or misrepresentation of residency documents is considered fraud and may result in sanctions, including the charging of back tuition, the immediate withdrawal of the student from the school system with no credits awarded, and the pursuit of criminal and civil charges.
- If a proof cannot be produced in one of the above categories, a Pupil Personnel Worker signed verification can be substituted
- Families who are domiciled with another family and have no proofs of domicile in their name may complete a Verification of Domicile Form accompanied by two acceptable proofs of domicile for the owner/lessee of the property (must be completed at the department of student services)
- Families who enter into a Prospective Homeowner’s Application* and are temporarily residing at a hotel, may submit the hotel receipt, to be accompanied by a pupil personnel worker verification
*Prospective Homeowner Application-Families who are building or purchasing a home and will be moving into this home within the first marking period of the school year may enroll their children in Charles County Public Schools by special permission through the department of student services. The family will notify the school when they move into the new home in the county by providing documentation of their domicile. Students may be required to transfer to their zoned school, withdraw from the school system, or pay tuition on a per diem basis if the family does not move by the agreed upon date.
Families living outside the county may request to pay tuition to have their children attend Charles County Public Schools. The families must receive permission through the department of student services, sign a tuition contract, and provide two proofs of their out-of-county domicile. Tuition rates are based on the family’s out-of-county status, as well as any special support services required by the student. Tuition contracts may not be approved for schools at or above their enrollment capacity.
Families in Charles County who are caring for children from other counties or states must have proof of court-appointed guardianship/custody prior to enrolling the children in Charles County Public Schools. Some families are exempt from this rule by state and federal laws such as the McKinney-Vento Act.
Families of students in the fifth and eighth grades will be required to provide two current proofs of domicile prior to entering the sixth and ninth grades.
To be eligible for kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year, a child must be five years old on or before Sept. 1, 2017. Kindergarten registration for the 2017-2018 school year will begin on Tuesday, April 18, 2017. Contact your home school for specific times and to find out if an appointment is necessary.
Early Entrance into Kindergarten
Charles County Public Schools has procedures and guidelines for early entrance into the kindergarten program. Children who will turn five years old between September 2 and October 15, 2017, are eligible to apply. The deadline for current county residents to apply for early entrance to kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year is June 15, 2017. Families who move to Charles County between June 15 and August 1 may obtain an early entrance application by calling the Office of Early Childhood at 301-934-7380 and must provide documentation of their move-in date.
Before downloading or submitting an early entrance to kindergarten application, please carefully read the Early Entrance to Kindergarten Parent’s Guide.
For more information on Charles County Public Schools’ early childhood programs, call the Charles County Public Schools Early Childhood Office at 301-934-7380.
To enter prekindergarten for the 2017-18 school year, a child must be four years old by Sept. 1, 2017. The selection of prekindergarten students is based on criteria and guidelines set by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) and Charles County Public Schools, with the first priority being children from economically disadvantaged or homeless families (Category 1). Other children whose families do not meet the criteria for Category 1 may be admitted to prekindergarten if spaces are available, with priority given to children whose circumstances put them at risk for a lack of school readiness (Category 2). Children without financial need or risk factors (Category 3) will be placed if spaces still exist after all Category 1 and Category 2 students are placed.
Before downloading or submitting a prekindergarten application, please carefully read the “Which Prekindergarten Application Do I Need?” guide.
Complete and print the applicable forms below. Printed forms are also available at all school offices. Visit your zoned school website or contact the school for specific registration times and to find out if an appointment is necessary.
CCPS New Student Enrollment Packet – includes fillable PDF forms needed for K-12 enrollment
Lead Testing Certificate – for students entering PreK through Grade 1
CCPS PreK Experience – a fillable PDF form for students entering Kindergarten
Early Entrance to Kindergarten Application 2017-2018
Prekindergarten Category 1 and 2 Application
Prekindergarten Category 3 Request for Consideration
Pre-Enrollment survey in Spanish.