Public Info / Media
Charles County Public Schools is one of the fastest growing school systems in Maryland. Located south of Washington, D.C., Charles County is considered part of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Charles County has a population of 154,747 and is located in Southern Maryland. Elementary schools are composed of students from prekindergarten to grade five; middle schools have students from sixth to eighth grade; and high schools serve students in grades nine through twelve.
The mission of Charles County Public Schools is to provide an opportunity for all school-aged children to receive an academically challenging, quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares for life, in an environment that is safe and conducive to learning.
Charles County Public Schools is composed of 37 schools and 5 educational centers.
- 22 Elementary Schools
- 8 Middle Schools
- 7 High Schools
- 5 Centers:
- F.B. Gwynn Educational Center
- James E. Richmond Science Center
- Judy Center
- Nanjemoy Creek Environmental Center
- Robert D. Stethem Educational Center
CCPS enrollment for the 2022-2023 school year is 27,598.
2021-22 OFFICIAL ENROLLMENT BY RACE
2020-21 Official Enrollment by Race
2019-20 Official Enrollment by race
Charles County's 276 buses travel 34,000 miles daily, which adds up to 6.1 million miles per year. Most students ride a school bus at some time, and 23,199 students ride daily. In Charles County, 26 independent contractors provide the school bus services for Charles County Public Schools. CCPS owns and operates four buses for out-of-county student transportation.
The operating budget for the 2022 fiscal year is $408 million. The county provides about 49.2 percent of the school system’s budget.
- Superintendent of Schools - Maria V. Navarro, Ed.D.
- Chief of the Office of Teaching and Learning - Kevin M. Lowndes
- Chief of the Office of School Administration and Leadership - Marvin L. Jones, Ed.D.
- Chief Financial Officer - Karen M. Acton
- Chief of Human Resources - Nikial M. Majors
- Chief of Instructional Technology - Charmaine T. Thompson
- Chief of the Office of Operations and Supporting Services - Michael L. Heim
Board of Education
A nine-member elected Board of Education serves the educational needs and interests of Charles County. The Board provides direction for and establishes educational policy for Charles County Public Schools. One student, who is selected by a committee, also serves on the Board. The student gives an opinion vote on most matters before the Board. Board members serve four-year terms.
Michael K. Lukas, chairperson
- Yonelle Moore Lee, Esq., vice chairperson
- Dottery Butler-Washington
- David Hancock
- Nicole M. Kreamer
- Jamila Smith
- Brenda Thomas
- Linda Warren
- Student Member, Amira Abujuma
Maryland School Assessment Results
MSDE Report Card for Charles County Public Schools
Superintendent of Schools
Maria V. Navarro, Ed.D.
Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building
5980 Radio Station Road
La Plata, MD 20646
P.O. Box 2770
La Plata, MD 20646
Spanish Hotline: 240-523-3032
24-hour Information Line
Educational Television Stations
Comcast Channel 96
Verizon FiOS Channel 12
5 educational centers
(largest employer in Charles County)