The Board of Education’s next regular meeting is 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 10. The Board will meet in person at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building. The Starkey Building is located at 5980 Radio Station Road in La Plata.
Public forum for this meeting will be held in a hybrid format of both in-person and virtual speakers. Preregistration is required for any speaker who wants to provide comments. Virtual speakers must register by 4 p.m., Monday, Jan. 9. Click here to register for virtual public forum. Late virtual registrations will not be accepted. Any public forum speaker interested in providing comments to the Board in person should register on Tuesday by 6 p.m. A sign-up sheet for in-person speakers will be located outside of the boardroom. Public forum speakers must adhere to the rules outlined on the school system website.
The following is a tentative meeting agenda and subject to change.
Executive session – 10 a.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m.
· Election of Chairperson and Vice Chairperson.
· North Point High School varsity football team.
· Student Pages: Maryland General Assembly.
Reports of officers/boards/committees
- Board member correspondence.
- Education Association of Charles County (EACC) update.
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) update.
- Superintendent’s Proposed FY2024 operating budget.
- Project status update.
- Blueprint update: Pillars 1 and 2.
- Review of in-school suspension program.
- Update on impact of tutoring programs.
- School naming.
- Review of policies 5126 and 1910.
New business and future agenda items
- New business.
- Future agenda items.
Recognition – 4:30 p.m.
- Black History Month.
- Career and Technical Education Month.
- Gifted and Talented Education Month.
- National School Counseling Week.
Public forum – 6 p.m.
- Virtual speakers must preregister by 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 9.
- In-person speakers can sign up on site by 6 p.m. the day of the Board meeting.
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,000 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 37 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial M. Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.
CCPS provides nondiscriminatory equal access to school facilities in accordance with its Use of Facilities rules to designated youth groups (including, but not limited to, the Boy Scouts).