CCPS School Change Requests/CCPS Transfer Rules
The Board of Education shall establish geographic attendance zones. The Superintendent or designee shall assign each student to the student’s zoned school based on where the student is domiciled with a parent or guardian, unless the Superintendent or designee determines that the student shall be assigned to a different school in the best interests of the school system or the student. “Domicile” is defined as the individual’s sole, permanent home, without present intention of change and notwithstanding the existence of homes or residences elsewhere. Custodial parents/guardians (parents/guardians) may request a transfer for their child to a school other than the one to which he or she is assigned in accordance with these Rules. Transfer requests will be accepted for students entering grades K – 12 only.
Parents/guardians shall promptly notify their child’s school with any changes to their domicile. Failure to provide prompt notification may result in an immediate school reassignment based on the correct student domicile and the denial of a future transfer request under these Rules.
Consideration of a request of parent(s)/guardian(s) for the transfer of a student from one county school zone to another will be given if one of the following conditions is met:
1) A student who changes bona fide domicile after the start of the second semester may request to complete the school at the school in which the student is currently enrolled. If the student moves out of county, the student shall be charged tuition. The parent/guardian must complete the appropriate school change request form for consideration to remain at the current school. The student must enroll the next school year in the school in his or her new attendance zone.
2) A senior in high school who changes bona fide domicile to a location in or out of the county at any time during the school year may complete the school year at the school in which the student is currently enrolled. If the student moves out of county, the student shall be charged tuition. The parent/guardian must complete the appropriate school change request form for the request to be considered.
3) A student whose parent/guardian has entered into a contract to purchase a home within the first quarter of the school year may request a transfer to the school zoned for the prospective home. The parent/guardian shall notify the new school upon moving into the new home. The verification of domicile and occupancy in the new home must be provided by the end of the first quarter in order to avoid tuition charges and/or removal from the new school. The parent/guardian shall be required to complete the Prospective Homeowner Application form prior to enrollment.
4) A student who is domiciled in the county and whose parent/legal guardian is the physical custodian and is a full-time CCPS employee eligible for benefits may request a transfer to the elementary, middle, or high school zoned for that parent/guardian’s current primary work location. This privilege does not extend to employees who are the step-parent/grandparent of the student, or have any other connection to the student, unless the employee is also the legal guardian. The parent/guardian must complete a school change request form for the transfer. An employee who changes primary work location within Charles County Public Schools during the school year may request that the student complete the school year at the school in which the student is currently enrolled.
5) A student who is domiciled out of the county and whose parent/legal guardian is the physical custodian and is a full-time CCPS employee eligible for benefits may request to enroll in the CCPS elementary, middle, or high school zoned for that parent/guardian’s current primary work location. This privilege does not extend to employees who are the step-parent/grandparent of the student, or have any other connection to the student, unless the employee is also the legal guardian. The parent/guardian must complete a non-resident school change request form for consideration of enrollment in a specific school. The enrollment shall be deemed a transfer under this Rule. The county portion of the tuition will be waived for those employees who were employed before January 1, 2013 and one-half of the county tuition will be waived for employees who were hired to begin work on or after January 1, 2013. The parent/guardian will be financially responsible for any other applicable costs above the established regular education student county tuition rate, including out-of-state tuition (state foundation). An employee who changes primary work location within Charles County Public Schools during the school year may request that the student complete the school year at the school in which the student is currently enrolled.
6) When the child of a CCPS employee is granted a transfer to attend a school in the zone of the parent/guardian’s primary work location, that child will be eligible for athletics and extracurricular activities provided the child meets attendance and academic eligibility guidelines.
In addition, a request for a transfer by a parent/guardian for one of the following conditions shall be considered by the Superintendent or designee only if the receiving school has adequate space to accommodate additional students outside of their residence zone. Factors in determining adequate space shall include whether the receiving school is at or above state-rated capacity and whether the enrollment shall negatively affect any specific grade or program of studies. All requests for transfers for these reasons for the following school year must be submitted to the Department of Student Services after January 1 and not later than May 1 for consideration.
1) A student may request a transfer for an academic course of study not offered within the student’s zoned school. Academic courses of study under this Rule do not include JROTC, World Languages, and other courses offered at each school in which there may be differences in academic focus among the schools.
2) Unusual hardship cases not stated above shall be considered on a case-by-case basis. Such exceptions will not be granted for issues common to large numbers of families, such as the need for a particular schedule, sibling enrollment, redistricting, or typical day care issues.
Except as provided above, a student who is transferred to a new high school under the provisions of this rule on or prior to the first day of school shall not be eligible for interscholastic athletics for the one school year. A student who is transferred to a new high school under the provisions of this rule after the first day of school shall not be eligible for one full calendar year from the date the student is initially enrolled.
Any student reassigned by the Superintendent or designee to a school other than the home school zone may be eligible for transportation services from the school system. Students granted transfers to a school other than the home school zone shall not be eligible for transportation.
The Superintendent or designee retains the authority to rescind the granting of a transfer at any time. The considerations used in this determination may include, but are not limited to, behavioral concerns of the student, attendance issues, academic performance of the student, or school over-enrollment. Transfer approvals shall by reviewed annually by the Superintendent or designee. The approval of a transfer request is not a guarantee of future approvals.
The Superintendent retains the authority to remove a student from the school system if the student is enrolled in the school system through fraud, including fraudulent document of proof of domicile. The parent/guardian of any student removed from the school system under this provision may be charged tuition for the time the student was fraudulently enrolled.
Students who have been granted a transfer to a CCPS school shall be allowed to remain enrolled in their current school until the student is no longer enrolled in that specific school, unless the Superintendent or designee determines that the transfer shall be rescinded at an earlier time. The considerations used in this determination may include, but are not limited to, behavioral concerns of the student, attendance issues, academic performance of the student, or school over-enrollment.
Required Forms for Request
- Transportation will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
- Transfer requests are accepted for grades K-12 only.
- This form should be printed, signed (cannot be typed in), scanned and emailed to Mike Meiser at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The following documents should also be included in the email:
- Student’s birth certificate
- Two acceptable proofs of domicile
- Photo identification of parent making request
- Documents supporting reason for request.
- Only completed packets will be processed. If supporting documents are not provided, the request will not be processed.
Processing for School Change Request will begin after April 25th, 2022. Once processed, notification will be sent to e-mail and address provided.
The School Change Request Form for the School Year 2023-24 will be available on March 1, 2023.
|Students from Outside of Maryland||Students from Other Maryland Counties|
|Regular Education Students||$14,790||$9,720|
|Special Education Students *|
|Related Services (e.g., OT/PT/Speech/APE)||$77 per hour||$77 per hour|
|Special Education Academic Services||$24,200||$19,236|
|One-to-One Instructional Assistant||$33,550||$25,720|
|Private Duty Nurse||$63 per hour||$63 per hour|
|Home/Hospital Instruction/Tutoring||$27.77 per hour||$27.77 per hour|
* If a student requires special support services under IDEA or Section 504, the direct cost of these services will be assessed in addition to the base rate. Rates for students with unique needs will be determined on a case-by-case basis. For example, students who require an individual instructional assistant, non-public placement, special transportation, ESY, HHI/tutoring, or registered nurse, can be assessed the full cost of these services in addition to the tuition rate.