About Charles County Public Schools
Charles County Public Schools is one of the fastest growing school systems in Maryland. Located south of Washington, D.C., Charles County is considered part of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Charles County has a population of 154,747 and is located in Southern Maryland. Elementary schools are composed of students from prekindergarten to grade five; middle schools have students from sixth to eighth grade; and high schools serve students in grades nine through twelve.
The mission of Charles County Public Schools is to provide an opportunity for all school-aged children to receive an academically challenging, quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares for life, in an environment that is safe and conducive to learning.
Charles County Public Schools is composed of 36 schools and four educational centers.
- 21 Elementary Schools
- 8 Middle Schools
- 7 High Schools
- 4 Centers:
- F.B. Gwynn Educational Center
- Robert D. Stethem Educational Center
- Nanjemoy Creek Environmental Center
- Adult Education Program at Lifelong Learning Center
CCPS enrollment for the 2017-18 school year is 26,891.
- 2017-18 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
- 2016-17 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
- 2015-16 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
- 2014-15 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
- 2013-14 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
- 2012-13 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
- 2011-12 Official Enrollment (by county and school)
Percentages based on enrollment as of September 30, 2016. (2016-17 school year)
- 2017-18 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
- 2016-17 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
- 2015-16 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
- 2014-15 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
- 2013-14 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
- 2012-13 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
- 2011-12 Enrollment by race (by county and school)
Charles County Public Schools employs 3,542 people. There are 2,079 teachers, 1,122 support staff, 114 technical employees and 227 administrators. More than 78 percent of staff reside in Charles County. CCPS is the largest employer in Charles County.
EEO-5 Report (2016)
Charles County's 278 buses travel 35,804 miles daily, which adds up to 6.4 million miles per year. Most students ride a school bus at some time, and 23,161 students ride daily. In Charles County, 26 independent contractors provide the school bus services for Charles County Public Schools. The bus routes run two times each evening; however, dismissal times vary at each school.
The operating budget for the 2018 fiscal year is $352.2 million. The county provides about 49.8 percent of the school system’s budget. Click here to see the CCPS Budget webpage.
Charles County Public Schools in Dollars, Cents and Beyond
- Superintendent of Schools - Kimberly A Hill, Ed.D.
- Deputy Superintendent - Amy L. Hollstein
- Assistant Superintendent of Supporting Services - Michael L. Heim
- Assistant Superintendent of Fiscal Services - Randolph A. Sotomayor
Board of Education
A seven-member elected Board of Education serves the educational needs and interests of Charles County. The Board provides direction for and establishes educational policy for Charles County Public Schools. One student, who is selected by a committee, also serves on the Board. The student gives an opinion vote on most matters before the Board. Board members serve four-year terms. The next election is November 2018.
Board Members are:
- Barbara S. Palko, chairman
- Jennifer S. Abell, vice chairman
- Mark Crawford
- Victoria T. Kelly
- Michael Lukas
- Margaret T. Marshall
- Virginia R. McGraw
- Student Member, Krisha Patel
Suspensions Archive, 2011-2016 school years
Maryland School Assessment results
MSDE Report Card information for Charles County Public Schools.
MSDE state test score results, by school.
Superintendent of Schools
Kimberly A. Hill, Ed.D.
Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building
5980 Radio Station Road
La Plata, MD 20646
P.O. Box 2770
La Plata, MD 20646
24-hour Information Line
Educational Television Stations
Comcast Channel 96
Verizon FiOS Channel 12
36 elementary, middle and high
4 educational centers
(largest employer in Charles County)