Robert D. Stethem Educational Center
7775 Marshall Corner Road
Pomfret, Maryland 20675
(301) 932 -6612 fax (301) 932 -6613
Offering Online High School Courses Using a Blended Learning Approach
Virtual Academy is an educational program that is offered through the Charles County Public Schools at the Robert D. Stethem Educational Center and is an extension of the services offered through the regular high school program. It provides a hybrid of face-to-face instruction and online high school courses using the APEX program. Credit is awarded upon satisfactory completion of subject requirements. Students who enroll in Virtual Academy are self -motivated independent learners who have basic computer skills.
Virtual Academy accepts rising 10th, 11th and 12th grade students who are referred by the school principal for one of the following reasons:
- Students who are committed to their education but desire a non -traditional school setting.
- Students who may need an adjusted schedule due to personal or health reasons.
- Students who are out of their graduation cohort.
Students interested in enrolling in Virtual Academy should contact their school counselor. A completed Virtual Academy registration form requires signatures from the parent, student, high school counselor and principal. The deadline to apply is September 28, 2018.
Virtual Academy Requirements
- Full-time Virtual Academy students must agree to remain for the completion of the current school year. They may transfer back to their home school the following school year.
- Students attending Virtual Academy fulltime are not eligible to participate in sports or extracurricular activities at their home school.
- Students must attend for five consecutive hours, four days per week.
- Virtual Academy courses will not be taken for eligibility purposes and do not meet National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) requirements.
Transportation is provided for Virtual Academy students from their assigned home school. This is new for the 2018-19 school year and begins on Monday, Sept. 10. Virtual Academy students who would like to use bus transportation must take the bus to their home school, and board the Stethem shuttle bus. Virtual Academy students who ride the bus home will depart Stethem for their home schools at the 1:48 p.m. dismissal, and take a bus from their home school to their assigned residential bus stop.
Students meeting all of the requirements for the Maryland High School Diploma will receive their diploma through their home school at the completion of the current school year, regardless of when the student completes the required courses. It is the student’s responsibility to stay in contact with their home school counselor for requirements and deadlines.
Virtual Academy is open Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Virtual Academy is closed on Fridays, and when Charles County Public Schools are closed. On early dismissal days, the Virtual Academy will close at 3 p.m. The Virtual Academy will open at 11 a.m. on two-hour delays.
Progress reports will be issued corresponding to the school system ’s distribution schedule for interim reports and report cards.
Courses Offered *All courses are A-Level
Probability and Statistics
Physics Geography and World Culture
Health (½ credit)
Fitness for Life (½ credit )
Advanced Physical Education