Proof of Domicile/Residence
Board Rule 5122.1
When registering their children in Charles County Public Schools, parents or guardians are required to show two proofs of domicile. All children must attend school in the county where the children’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s) reside. One proof must be submitted from each of the listed categories below:
- Current verifiable lease or rental agreement (with appropriate signatures and contact information)
- Current mortgage statement/bill (within 45 days)
- Settlement papers (within 45 days and with appropriate signatures)
- Foster care placement letter / McKinney-Vento Homeless documentation
- Assignment of Ownership Agreement (for properties in cooperative homeowner’s associations (e.g., Potomac Heights))
- Most recent property tax bill for domicile or Maryland Department of Assessment and Taxation Form
- Most recent utility bill in its entirety (within 45 days) that includes name and service address (examples are electric, water/sewer, trash, oil, gas, cable, security system, and solar bills)
- Current verification of service statement for above utilities
- Current wage statement (within 45 days) with name and address of employee and employer
- Most recent W2, 1098, or 1099 statement
- One of the following government-issued statements with name and address (within 45 days):
- Documentation of benefits from the Social Security Administration
- Documentation of benefits from the Department of Social Services
- Official correspondence on letterhead mailed from local, state, or federal court
Unacceptable Proofs of Domicile
- Driver’s License
- Car registration
- Voter registration
- Cellular or telephone bill
- General mail, advertisements
- Termination of service statements
- Deeds, titles, or tax statements to the property with no dwelling on it
- Letters or notes from persons, notarized or not, that claim an address (PPW verification is exception)
- Bank statements/credit card statements
- Tax return
- Medical insurance documentation
- Mortgage/rental/car insurance
Charles County Public Schools reserves the right to investigate domicile at any time without notification or consent whenever the authenticity of proofs are in question. Falsification or misrepresentation of residency documents is considered fraud and may result in sanctions, including the charging of back tuition, the immediate withdrawal of the student from the school system with no credits awarded, and the pursuit of criminal and civil charges.
Families of students in the fifth and eighth grades will be required to provide two current proofs of domicile prior to entering the sixth and ninth grades.
If a proof cannot be produced in one of the above categories, a Pupil Personnel Worker signed verification form can be substituted. A separate form must be completed for each student being enrolled. You must also send the following supporting documentation with the form; parent Maryland state issued identification, or an MVA receipt showing proof that you have an appointment to get your ID switched to the new address (must submit new ID within 15 days or your student will be withdrawn), student’s birth certificate, and your one proof of domicile you have in your name with the current address. If deemed necessary, home visits may be conducted via Zoom by the discretion of the PPW. All forms and supporting documents must be uploaded in one email at the same time. Incomplete applications will not be accepted or reviewed. You may email your form and supporting documentation to Sandra Savoy at email@example.com.
Application of Domicile
Families who are domiciled with another family and have no proofs of domicile in their name may complete an Application of Domicile Form accompanied by two acceptable proofs of domicile category 1 and category 2 from the list above for the owner/lessee of the property, and a copy of their Maryland state issued ID. The parent must provide a copy of their Maryland state ID with the new address, and a copy of the student’s birth certificate. All supporting documents requested must accompany the application in one email all together. Incomplete applications will not be accepted or reviewed. A separate form must be completed for each student being enrolled. Once the application has been submitted, you will receive an approval or denial letter via email. All applications require a minimum of 48 hours review time. Review time does not begin until all documents are submitted. You may email your form and documents to Sandra Savoy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Families who are building or purchasing a home and will be moving into this home within the first of the school year may enroll their children in Charles County Public Schools by special permission by completing a Prospective Homeowner’s Application. The application must be emailed accompanied by all the supporting documents as follows:
- Two acceptable proofs of domicile for the current domicile in which the family is residing.
- Parent/guardian Maryland State issued photo ID with the current address (Should the parent/guardian’s ID not reflect the current address or is not state issued, they will be given no more than15 days of application to turn it in. (Student will be withdrawn if not provided within the time period.)
- Student’s birth certificate.
- All supporting documents of the prospective new home or established home as listed on the Prospective Homeowner’s application.
Families who enter into a Prospective Homeowner’s Application and are temporarily residing at a hotel may submit the hotel receipt, to be accompanied by a pupil personnel worker verification. You may email your Home Visit Form to Garcia Dixon at email@example.com.
* The family will notify the school when they move into the new home in the county by providing two new proofs of residency documentation for their new domicile. Students may be required to transfer to their zoned school, withdraw from the school system, or pay tuition on a per diem basis if the family does not move by the agreed upon date.
All supporting documents requested must accompany the application in one email. Incomplete applications will not be accepted or reviewed. Once the application has been submitted, you will receive an approval or denial letter via email. All applications require a minimum of 48 hours review time.
All Prospective Homeowner Applications should be emailed to Garcia Dixon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Families Outside of the County or State
Families living outside the county may request to pay tuition to have their children attend Charles County Public Schools. The families must receive permission through the department of student services, sign a tuition contract, and provide two proofs of their out-of-county domicile. Tuition rates are based on the family’s out-of-county status, as well as any special support services required by the student. Tuition contracts may not be approved for schools at or above their enrollment capacity.
Families in Charles County who are caring for children from other counties or states must have proof of court-appointed guardianship/custody prior to enrolling the children in Charles County Public Schools. Some families are exempt from this rule by state and federal laws such as the McKinney-Vento Act.