The Board of Education’s next monthly meeting is Tuesday, Jan. 9, at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building on Radio Station Road in La Plata. The public portion of the meeting begins at 1 p.m. and recognition starts at 4:30 p.m.
The meeting is televised live on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon FiOS Channel 12, and rebroadcast throughout the week. Board meetings are streamed live on the school system website www.ccboe.com. Select “Click Here to Watch the Board Meeting” from the middle of the home page to launch the meeting. The following is a tentative meeting agenda and subject to change.
Executive session – 12 p.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance, Maurice J. McDonough High School
Recognition of 2018 Maryland General Assembly Student Pages
Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman
- Reports of officers/board/committees
- Correspondence/Board member updates
- Education Association of Charles County update
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees update
- Student Board member update
- Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) anti-bullying efforts
- Student discipline programs
- Inclement weather procedures
- Proposed FY2019 operating budget
- Legislative update
- Environmental scan update
New business and future agenda items
- New business
- Future agenda items
Recognition – 4:30 p.m.
- Check presentation from Charles County Arts Alliance
- Recognition of La Plata Rotary Club
- Resolutions: Black History Month, Career and Technical Education Month; National School Counseling Week; and Gifted and Talented Education Month
Public Forum – 6 p.m.
- John Hanson Middle School grant of access
Charles County Public Schools provides 26,900 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 36 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Dr. Patricia Vaira, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial M. Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.