The Board of Education’s next monthly meeting is Tuesday, June 11 at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building on Radio Station Road in La Plata. The public portion of the meeting begins at 1 p.m. and student and staff recognition starts at 4:30 p.m. The meeting is televised live on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon FiOS Channel 12 and rebroadcast throughout the week.
Board meetings are streamed live on the school system website at ccboe.com. Select the live streaming image displayed in the center of the home page. The following is a tentative meeting agenda and is subject to change.
Executive session – 12 p.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance, North Point High School
Swearing-in of new Student Board Member
Recognition of student state winners
Contract vote/signing – American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
Reports of officers/boards/committees
- Correspondence/Board Member updates
- Education Association of Charles County update
- AFSCME update
- Student Board Member update
- North Point career and technology education (CTE) program selection process
- Student services update
- Project status update
- Lead testing
- Waldorf opportunity zones: Economic Development briefing
- Policy committee assignments
- Core values follow-up
New business and future agenda items
- New business
- Tuition rates
- Future agenda items
Recognition – 4:30 p.m.
- Washington Post Teacher of the Year awards program: Brooke Shnipes, English teacher, La Plata High School
- Maryland Teacher of the Year awards program: Melinda Wright, second-grade teacher, Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School
- Outstanding Vice Principal of the Year Award: Anthony Carroll, vice principal, Matthew Henson Middle School
- Outstanding Support Staff Awards: Ronald Brawner Jr., maintenance worker, CCPS maintenance shop; Marie Woodland, building service assistant manager, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building; Tammy Dudley, kindergarten instructional assistant, J.C. Parks Elementary School; and Ronald Cave, computer analyst, Starkey.
Public Forum – 6 p.m.
- School year 2020-21 calendar
- New CTE program textbooks
- Discipline Review Committee: cell phone policy
- Educational Facilities Master Plan
- Contract for Eva Turner Elementary School renovations
- FY 2020 operating budget
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,108 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 36 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.