The Board of Education’s next monthly meeting is Tuesday, Sept. 10 at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building on Radio Station Road in La Plata. The public portion of the meeting begins at 1 p.m. The meeting is televised live on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon FiOS Channel 12, and rebroadcast throughout the week.
Board meetings are streamed live on the school system website at www.ccboe.com. Select the live streaming image posted on the front page to access the meeting. The following is a tentative meeting agenda and is subject to change.
Executive session – 11:30 a.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance, Westlake High School
La Plata High School instrumental music performance to recognize National Arts in Education Week (Sept. 8-14)
Reports of officers/boards/committees
- Correspondence/Board Member updates
- Education Association of Charles County update
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees update
- Student Board Member update
- Goals update
- Financial literacy update
- Project status update
- FY 2020 Comprehensive Maintenance Plan
- Contract award for Benjamin Stoddert Middle School renovation
- Legislative update
- Fresh Start Academy Advisory Board representative
New business and future agenda items
- New business
- Future agenda items
Public Forum – 6 p.m.
- FY 2021 CIP state and local program
- Recurring Resolutions: American Education Week; American Freedom Week; Black History Month; Gifted and Talented Education Month; Career and Technology Education Month; National School Counseling Week; Read Across America; Women’s History Month; Fine and Performing Arts Month; Month of the Young Child; National Student Leadership Week; Teacher Appreciation Week; Administrative Professionals Week; Child Nutrition Employee Appreciation Week; National Physical Education and Sport Week; Washington Post Principal of the Year awards program; Charles County Teacher of the Year; Washington Post Teacher of the Year awards program; Be the Difference awards program; and Employees Retirement.
- New resolutions to be considered: National Hispanic Heritage Month recognized Sept. 15-Oct. 15; LGBTQ + Pride Month recognized in June; and Asian Pacific-American Heritage Month recognized in May
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,108 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 37 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.