The Board of Education’s next monthly meeting is Tuesday, May 12. The Board is observing social distancing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and it will conduct the meeting via teleconference. There is no public access to the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building on Radio Station Road in La Plata; however, the meeting will stream live on ccboe.com and air live on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon FiOs Channel 12. Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) will rebroadcast the meeting as well as post it on CCPSTV under the Board Meeting tab.
Executive session begins at noon, and the public portion of the meeting starts at 1 p.m. Agenda items have been condensed to include updates and issues that require Board attention at this time. Although the Board is unable to make Public Forum live, it is encouraging the public to email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments should be limited to 250 words. Board members will read all comments as well as post them on ccboe.com. There will not be any recognitions during this meeting.
Board meetings are streamed live on the school system website at www.ccboe.com. Select the live stream image displayed in the center of the home page. The following is a tentative meeting agenda and is subject to change.
Executive session – 12 p.m.
Call to order – 1 p.m.
Superintendent’s update to the Board
Reports of officers/boards/committees
- Correspondence/Board Member updates
- Education Association of Charles County (EACC) update
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) update
- Student Board Member update
- Graduation update – Kimberly A. Hill, Ed.D., superintendent of schools
- Distance learning instructional update – Amy Hollstein, deputy superintendent of schools
- Technology update – Charmaine Thompson, chief of technology
- Project status update – Michael Heim, assistant superintendent of supporting services
- Educational Facilities Master Plan update – Michael Heim
- Food Nutrition Services update – Crystal Richardson and William Kreuter, supervisors of food and nutrition services
- Five-day waiver request – Eric Schwartz, staff attorney
New business and future agenda items
- New business
- Continuation of suspension of Board policies
- Future agenda items
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,521 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 37 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
Nondiscrimination statement: The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial M. Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations, call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks before the event.