Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) is looking for volunteers to serve on the school system’s District Committee on Assessment.
Maryland State Senate Bill 452 requires each local school system to create a district committee on assessment every two years to review and evaluate the district’s assessment plan, as well as make recommendations to the Board of Education.
This will be the second time since 2018 a committee will be formed. Each meeting will be held from 6-7:30 p.m. at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building at 5980 Radio Station Road in La Plata.
Meeting dates are March 24, April 23, May 26, June 16, Sept. 24 and Oct. 22.
Below are the topics for each meeting:
- Meeting 1 – Senate Bill 452, Balanced Assessment System.
- Meeting 2 – History of testing in Maryland, college and career ready standards, CCPS testing program, ESSA star ratings.
- Meeting 3 – Scaled scoring, Student Learning Objectives, data (where teachers get it, what it looks like, etc.), review of Stiggins rubrics to evaluate assessments.
- Meetings 4-5 – Individual working groups to evaluate the tests using the rubrics.
- Meeting 6 – Review proposed recommendations.
Interested volunteers are asked to email Christina Mulhollan Miller, coordinator of formative assessment, by Feb. 24 at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-934-7300.
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,521 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 37 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.