Several Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) Mathematics, Engineering and Science Achievement (MESA) teams earned top awards at the state event held May 18 at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
The following teams earned awards at the state competition.
- Dr. Gustavus Brown Elementary School, first place, Basswood Bridge
- C. Paul Barnhart Elementary School, first place, Interactive Game Design with Scratch
- William A. Diggs Elementary School, second place, Wearable Technology
- Diggs, second place, Interactive Game Design with Scratch
- General Smallwood Middle School, first place, Wearable Technology
- Piccowaxen Middle School, first place, Interactive Game Design with Alice
- Piccowaxen, third place, Basswood Bridge
- North Point High School, first place, Basswood Bridge
CCPS teams compete as a separate Maryland MESA region due to a high level of participation. Maryland MESA is designed to prepare students for academic and professional careers in mathematics, engineering, science and technology.
The program’s goals are to increase the number of engineers, scientists, mathematicians and related professionals at technical and management levels; and to serve as a driving force in encouraging and assisting minorities and females in achieving success in these fields. For more information about MESA, go to https://secwww.jhuapl.edu/MESA/.
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,108 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 36 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.