Last week, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan declared July 5 as a holiday for state employees and the Board of Charles County Commissioners added July 5 as a county holiday.
Superintendent of Schools Dr. Kimberly Hill has announced a system-wide holiday for all Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) staff on Friday, July 5. The Lunch on Us program and any camps operating in a CCPS building or school will be open on Friday, July 5 to operate as normal.
The following is a list of programs open on July 5:
- Indian Head Elementary School, open for renovations
- Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Elementary School, open for construction
- Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Elementary School, open for AlphaBest camp 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Arthur Middleton Elementary School, open for construction
- Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School, open for Lunch on Us program 12 to 1 p.m.
- J. P. Ryon Elementary School, open for Lunch on Us program 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- William B. Wade Elementary School, open for Community Services camp 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- John Hanson Middle School, open for Community Services camp 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Matthew Henson Middle School, open for Community Services camp 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Milton M. Somers Middle School, open for Community Services camp 6 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Lunch on Us program 11:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- Henry E. Lackey High School, open for Summer Youth Camp, Lunch on Us from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and indoor pool 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- La Plata High School, open for Community Services camp 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and pool use from 12 to 8 p.m.
- Maurice J. McDonough High School, pool open from 12 to 8 p.m.
- North Point High School, pool open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- St. Charles High School, pool open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thomas Stone High School, pool open from 12 to 8 p.m.
- Westlake High School, open for Lunch on Us from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
With the exception of the list above, all other CCPS buildings and facilities are closed on July 5.
All CCPS buildings, facilities, Lunch on Us and camps are closed on Thursday, July 4, for the Independence Day holiday. Lunch on Us information is posted on the CCPS website at https://www.ccboe.com/ss/summer-meals/.
Charles County Public Schools provides 27,108 students in grades prekindergarten through 12 with an academically challenging education. Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County Public Schools has 37 schools that offer a technologically advanced, progressive and high quality education that builds character, equips for leadership and prepares students for life, careers and higher education.
The Charles County public school system does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or disability in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries, please contact Kathy Kiessling, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 Coordinator (students) or Nikial Majors, Title IX/ADA/Section 504 coordinator (employees/ adults), at Charles County Public Schools, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, P.O. Box 2770, La Plata, MD 20646; 301-932-6610/301-870-3814. For special accommodations call 301-934-7230 or TDD 1-800-735-2258 two weeks prior to the event.