Our School
enes



Our goal is for your children to leave us smiling and looking forward to coming back the next day!


History

Opened 1979 (The building opened in 1955 as Mt. Hope School.)

Mt. Hope Elementary and Nanjemoy Elementary schools were both one- and two-room schoolhouses when they first opened. Mt. Hope opened in 1955 as a school for black students. Nanjemoy Elementary opened as a school for white students. In 1965 both schools integrated but Mt. Hope remained predominantly black; Nanjemoy, predominantly white. The Department of Health, Education and Welfare reviewed the racial imbalance but found no intent to segregate.

It was not until 1979 that the two schools consolidated with students prekindergarten through grade two attending Mt. Hope and students grades three through five attending Nanjemoy, making the combined enrollment of the two schools 58 percent black and 42 percent white. Although grade levels were housed in separate buildings, the school took on the name Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy, was run by one principal and had one Parent Teacher Organization.

Later the two buildings were consolidated and all the students moved into the existing Mt. Hope building.

Source: The Maryland Independent, Aug. 22, 1979; The Baltimore Sun, Aug. 27, 1979; Times Crescent, March 12, 1980.

 

Vision

Our vision here at Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School is lifelong learning for the school community, three year olds through adult; expanded early childhood programs; collaborative business partnerships; and an emphasis on advanced technology.  This vision is one where everyone is valued, everyone contributes, and everyone is successful.