Frequently Asked Questions about Dual Enrollment

What is the difference between dual enrollment program and Advanced Placement (AP) courses?
The Dual Enrollment program through the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) can guarantee college earned credits, provided the student passes the course(s) they have taken. Many of these credits transfer to 4-year institutions. After taking the AP course at the high school level, the student must receive a specified score on the AP exam in order to earn college credit.

How do my courses transfer?
After completing the Dual Enrollment process and successful completion of a CSM course, students may request a CSM transcript. The transcript will show the number of credits have been earned as well as the student’s grade. Students may start at CSM and then transfer or begin their college career at a four-year college. Transcripts may be sent directly to colleges of the student’s choice.

Why can’t I register online?

While students are still in high school, they will not be able to register with CSM for the program online or adjust their schedules online. They must make an appointment with a CSM enrollment advisor to make schedule adjustments.

Can parents/guardians register their child(ren) over the phone?
No one is allowed to register for classes over the phone. The student and the student’s parents/guardians must make an appointment with a CSM enrollment advisor to register for classes.

Why is there so much paperwork involved in the Dual Enrollment program?

Students wishing to apply for the dual enrollment program through CSM must contact their school counselor to begin the application process and receive all necessary forms. Students must complete all paperwork required by CSM and follow up with the admissions office to ensure all required information has been received by CSM.

Do I need to provide my SAT/ACT scores to CSM?
If the student has acceptable SAT/ACT scores, it will waive the CSM placement test. A copy of the scores must be sent to the CSM admissions office with all other required paperwork.

Why are there deadlines associated with the Dual Enrollment program?
Deadlines are set to allow submission of the application, processing of the high school program paperwork, completion of testing and meeting with the enrollment advisor prior to the start of classes.
Dual Enrollment involves the high school counselors and their deadlines on completing the student’s high school schedules before summer break. Also, in order to qualify for a tuition discount, students interested in the Dual Enrollment program must complete the admissions process by the deadline date.

Can an exception be made to the deadline?
Exceptions are not made to the deadlines of the Dual Enrollment program.

Can parents/guardians access their student’s CSM academic record?
Once a student has been admitted into a college, parents/guardians no longer have access to their child(s) record, even if the student is under 18, due to The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Each information packet has an optional form the student can complete and return granting CSM with permission to release certain information to the individuals stated.

What options are available for home-schooled students?
Home-schooled students under the age of 16 follow the procedures for the Gifted & Talented program. If the student is 16 years old or older, they will follow the Non-Graduate program.

What kind of recommendations are required for students to participate in the Gifted and Talented Admission program?
The recommendation should come from someone who works closely with the student in their particular area of study. For example, if the student is interested in taking a math course, the recommendation should come from his/her math teacher.