The Homeschooling office is located at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building, 5980 Radio Station Road, La Plata, MD 20646
The Charles County Public Schools supports homeschooling in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.10.01. The purpose of these regulations is to establish a procedure to be used to determine if a child participating in a home instruction program is receiving regular, thorough instruction during the school year in the studies usually taught in the public schools to children of the same age. Click here for MSDE’s FAQs Regarding Home Instruction in Maryland.
The home instruction program must be under the supervision of either the student’s local school system or a nonpublic entity that is registered with the Maryland State Department of Education. Click here for the Nonpublic Entities Registered to Supervise Home Instruction of Maryland Students. A home instruction program under the Charles County Public System will be reviewed in the Fall and Spring of each school year.
Parents/guardians who choose to home-school must enroll their child with Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) as a home-schooled student using the CCPS online registration system. Home-school parents can disregard the instructions and requirements for enrolling a student into CCPS, as they do not apply to home-schooled students. The CCPS online registration replaced the Home School Notification Form. No new information is required when using the online registration system. If a Home School Notification Form was submitted for the 2019-20 school year, online enrollment is not required for the school year.
Important notes about the online enrollment process:
- Fields that are not required do not have to be completed by home-school parents.
- On the Documents screen under Domicile Proof One and Domicile Proof Two, home-school parents will need to check the box that states, “I will deliver a hard copy to the school instead of uploading it.” Home-school parents do not have to bring the documents to the school but must check the box to be able to submit the registration.
Parents who do not have a ParentVUE account must first create an account using a valid email address.
New users must first click More Options located underneath the word Login, then select Create a New Account.
Parents with an active ParentVUE account can complete the home-school enrollment using the Online Registration tab in the upper right-hand corner of all ParentVUE accounts.
The Online Registration tab is not available on the ParentVUE mobile app, you must use a web browser to log in to your account to register. After you log in, the link below will open directly to Online Registration.
The Fall Review consists of submitting a Fall Review Form to the Homeschooling office. The Spring Review is a face-to-face review of the student’s portfolio. Click here for suggestions for preparing the portfolio.
Home School/Instruction Resources
- Home Instruction – COMAR (MSDE)
- Compulsory Attendance Law
- MSDE Registered Non-Public Schools
- Preparing the Portfolio
- MSDE FAQs Regarding Home Instruction
- MSDE State Curriculum
- Maryland Homeschool Association
- SAT – College Board Information
- Home Instruction Advisory Committee May 2016 minutes
- Home Instruction Advisory Committee July 2016 minutes
School Safety and Residency Administrator