The goal of the Emotional Adjustment Program is twofold:
- Provide a therapeutic and highly structured self contained setting for students with difficulty accessing the academic curriculum in the regular education setting due to emotional/behavior deregulation.
- Provide opportunities and support to those students who are able to maintain appropriate behavior and return to the regular education setting.
The Therapeutic Components
The program provides behavioral, educational and psychological support to assist the student with emotional and or behavioral disabilities to remain in a public school setting while acquiring essential self regulatory, social and academic skills. Based on the principles of child development, which indicate children need to experience safety, belonging and competence, the therapeutic components include the following:
- Structured behavior management program emphasizing positive reinforcers for adaptive behavior choices
- Small group setting with low student to teacher ratio
- Individual behavior interventions and contracts
- Structured and interactive problem solving process
- Psychological services including individual and or group sessions and crisis intervention
- Intensive case management
- Alternative discipline methods *
- Differentiated instruction
- Collaboration with parents and community providers/practitioners
*Students in the program may be temporarily suspended out of school if other program options have been used and found unsuccessful. According to Charles County Public Schools policy any student involved with weapons, substance, or serious bodily injury may be suspended to the Superintendent.
- The program’s therapeutic components are designed to address the following goals:
- Assist the student in developing insight
- Increase student’s ability to cope with stress by learning and practicing adaptive strategies
- Increase student’s ability to get their needs met through appropriate behavior choices
- Assist the student in developing appropriate relationships with adults and peers
- Increase the student’s engagement and competencies in academics
Ultimately, the components are intended to assist the student in achieving emotional/behavioral stability and academic success without the need the need for such extensive supports.